Saturday, January 01, 2011

Browser Share III

I didn't realize it had been so long since I looked at and shared my browser statistics.

A recent exchange about file sharing tools got me looking at the distribution of operating systems visiting my web sites. I specifically looked at www.desotonet.com and benmoore.blogspot.com DeSotoNet is more of a general purpose site and gets non-techie visitors. My blog gets the geeks (like you).

The exchange that triggered this was with a Microsoft representive. His comment was "Yeah, XP is gone - wasn't happy about that, but it's so old and antiquated now." When I shared that with a manager at a Fortune 100 company his response was "And XP is not gone. Probably on >50% of the home and work machines that are active."

Anyway here's what I found on operating system share on my web sites. I threw in browser share just for fun.

I use 2 different statistics tools so some interpretation is necessary.

Here's the operating system view on desotonet.com:

XP is practically 50% of the Windows visitors. The Vista share surprised me. I'd guess that "Windows 2008" is Windows 7. I suspect that a large portion of the "Others" is some kind of Windows as well. Web crawlers would show up there also.

Here's the browser share on desotonet.com:

Internet Explorer dominates. This isn't the techie crowd.

Here's the operating systems on my benmoore.blogspot.com:

My Windows 7 shows up as "Windows NT." None of the techies are running Vista!

Here's the browsers on benmoore.blogspot.com:

Thankfully IE 6 is pretty much gone.

No comments: